Friday, October 23, 2015

When life hands you poop, make compost

I love compost.  Compost is a beautiful thing.  I always have various compost piles in various stages of decomposition in various areas of the property.  

Before we bought this property, at our old suburban home, I had a proper compost pile.  It had three bins.  Each bin had three sides.  It was ventilated.  I turned it.  It was backbreaking work, but it made nice compost.  

Through lack of time, I have found a better way.  Since we moved the hogs to a confined area on the back of the property, there was a lot of poop piling up.  I wheeled an old wheelbarrow over to the pig pen, grabbed a shovel, and every evening at feeding time, I would take about 5 minutes to shovel as much of the poop into the wheelbarrow as I could.  I figured I could spare 5 minutes.  It went pretty fast.  It only took me about a week to fill the wheelbarrow.  I was intending to make a "proper" compost pile with it in the chicken's area - you know, proper C:N ratio and all that composty stuff.  The idea was that the chickens could scratch it up and incorporate it into the soil, while getting a free lunch.  Of course it never happened, because I have too much on my plate.

So the wheelbarrow sat there, outside the pig pen for a couple of months.  One day I noticed it was looking not so much like poop anymore.  I couldn't help myself - I grabbed the shovel and turned it a couple of times (old habits die hard).  I turned it one or two more times over the next couple of months, and today this is what I have:


Beautiful, fluffy, earthy compost!  And as an added bonus, when I started digging around in it (OK, yes, I enjoy digging through my compost with my hands :-D), I found  these little lovelies everywhere:


That, my friends, is a red wriggler, otherwise known as a composting worm.  How did they get into the wheelbarrow?  Who knows?  As Jeff Goldblum said in Jurassic Park, life always finds a way.  What I do know is that they were busy turning that pig poop into beautiful compost for me!!  I also found several giant earthworms in there.  

The problem is the solution!!  Yaye permaculture!!  I got pig poop coming out my ears, I need compost, but got no time - perfect solution.  It's even already in the wheelbarrow so I can just wheel it wherever I need to use it.  This batch will be used to plant my fruit trees on my swale berms.  I'm going to have to start looking on Craigslist for more wheelbarrows...... 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment